With This Ring
Powers: Elevated body temperature, superhuman reflexes, flying
Length: 38,243 words
ISBN: ebook 9781611520262
Jump to: Buy Links • Excerpt • Reviews
Matt diLorenzo's ex, Jordan, confesses all to a tabloid, telling the world Matt's secret -- something in his semen gives his sexual partners super powers. After the article appears, Matt expects all sorts of weirdos to try to track him down, but the only call he receives is from a research scientist at a local condom factory who claims to have a solution to his little "problem."
The offer is tempting -- the powers Vic receives from Matt are unpredictable and scary. Matt wants to keep his lover safe, and is eager to hear what the scientist has to suggest. His lover, Vic Braunson, is willing to try the cure and lose his superhero abilities for his lover's peace of mind ... even if it means losing the special mental connection they share, a bond formed by the powers, a bond that has become such a part of their lives together that neither is quite prepared when it suddenly disappears.
Then Vic discovers that the scientist has an agenda of his own. Can he protect Matt, even without his super strength or their mental bond?
JMS Books • Amazon Kindle Unlimited
Barnes & Noble • Bookstrand • Kobo • Smashwords
JMS Books • Amazon • Barnes & Noble
Note: may contain sexually explicit scenes of a homoerotic nature.
The holidays were over all too soon, and before Vic knew it, he had to get back to work. On the second of January, he woke to a gentle kiss as his lover's thoughts brushed over his still-sleeping mind. ::See you tonight.::
Vic murmured in assent. A warm hand rubbed his shoulder through the comforter that covered his nude body, the touch sealing the promise in those words. Tonight ...
With a jolt, Vic opened his eyes, awake. Matt sat on the edge of the bed, fully dressed, a faint smile on his face that Vic could just barely discern in the dim room. Diffused silver light glowed like a nimbus around the edges of the closed curtains, not quite reaching the bed. Random images flickered through Vic's stagnant brain, trying to find something to connect with, something to explain the urgency that swirled through his veins. Matt, leaving for work. Early morning. A newspaper, a phone.
Picking up on Vic's discomfort, Matt gave his shoulder a playful squeeze. "What is it?"
Vic shook his head, trying to clear it, but he had never been the most alert person upon waking. It usually took him an hour or so to get his bearings together and get on with his day. But that damn tabloid had printed Matt's name, and Vic had promised ... "I'm taking you to work."
Matt's smile widened. "Vic, please. You're not even dressed."
"My robe," Vic answered, as if that settled it.
But Matt eased him back to the bed, and planted a quick kiss on the top of his bald head. "I'll be fine," he assured Vic. "It's been what, two days? Three? And how long was that paper in the store before we saw it? No one's called here looking for me."
When his head touched the pillow, Vic felt the morning creep up on him and his whole body felt too weary to face the day. "Phone's in my name," he muttered. "Lease is, too. But the gym --"
"I'll be fine," Matt said again. "Roxie's fielding my calls, remember? She's harder to get around than the Secret Service, I swear."
"Hmm." Vic struggled to open his eyes, but the sheets were so warm around him, Matt's voice so comforting and low, his hand on Vic's chest soothing. It was hard to get riled up at the moment. Easing a hand out from beneath the covers, he touched Matt's knee; instantly, his lover grasped that hand in his own, twining his fingers with Vic's to raise it to his lips for a kiss. The damp imprint of his mouth cooled on Vic's skin. With a hitching breath, Vic sighed, "Roxie."
Whatever else Vic planned to say was lost as his mind slipped back down into the confusing murk of his dreaming mind. He heard Matt chuckle as he kissed him again, and felt more than heard his lover whisper, "She likes you, you know?"
::She likes you,:: Vic corrected, his mouth too relaxed to form the words that spoke directly into his lover's mind. ::If we weren't together, you'd probably have to fend her off every day.::
Matt laughed. "You know," he teased, leaning down over Vic to kiss his slack cheek, "I bet if we asked her to join us, like in a threesome, she'd do it."
That woke Vic up. His eyes flew open again, widened in horror. His heart practically stopped in his chest. Was Matt serious? Did he really want someone else between them? Someone like her?
But the gleam in his lover's eyes told Vic he was only kidding.
"Oh jeez, the look on your face," Matt said with a grin. "You didn't really think --"
"Don't do that to me," Vic growled. Relief coursed through him, so poignant it made him want to grasp Matty in a fierce hug and never let go. "Don't even joke about it. God, it's too damn early for that shit."
- Fallen Angel Reviews: 5 angels out of 5, Recommended Read.
- "The love between Vic and Matt is put to the test, but in the end they prove that together they can overcome anything as long as they trust in their love."
- Joyfully Reviewed:
- "In [this story], I got a taste of what things are like when Matt and Vic are just ordinary men. I didn’t like it anymore than Vic and Matt did! They are still awesome guys but I missed their private connection ... [This story] has some great super powered moments. Vic’s hot hands and his ability to float are hilarious. I love Vic’s protectiveness of Matt and Matt’s devotion to Vic. Matt and Vic’s adventures really are like an erotic comic book! Another great story in The Powers of Love series."
- Literary Nymphs Reviews: 4.5 out of 5.
- "A fitting story of love for these two wonderful characters about what one is willing to do to keep the one they love safe and happy."
- Rainbow Reviews: 5 out of 5.
- "Vic’s love for Matt is tested when he faces the loss of these abilities, but in the end he realizes what he always has known, Matt is his everything."
- Reader Review by Elisa Rolle.
- "What I like in this series, is that the paranormal element is dealt as an almost "normal" event in the day-to-day life of Vic and Matt. All in all they remain a simple gay couple, who like to do normal thing, like doing shopping (well Matt likes it) and cuddle on the couch in front of the television. Vic has not changed from the simple bus driver who was when he first met Matt, he still considers himself an all too simple man, someone not worthy of Matt's love, who always is wondering why an handsome man like Matt should decide to be his lover. For this reason Vic is very jealous of his man, and even if he is totally convinced of Matt's loyalty, so is not for the other men, that he always believes ready to steal Matt from him."
- Two Lips Reviews: 4˝ out of 5, with a "heat level" of 1 out of 3.
- "J.M. Snyder has written yet another book that makes you feel as if the characters are real people that you could see as being part of your life."